Friday, October 23, 2009

Hero Kernel Source

HTC have made the Hero Kernel Source code available. Not sure how much use it will be to you and me but its available here,

Monday, October 19, 2009

Another Eclipse/Android Issue

I ran across another small issue today. I tried import an existing Android Application into Eclipse and received the following error:

[2009-10-19 07:56:02 -]Android requires .class compatibility set to 5.0. Please fix project properties.

The solution is quite simple, select the following after right clicking on the project in the Package Explorer:

Android Tools >> Fix Project Properties

But importantly, you must restart Eclipse afterwards for the error to be resolved.

Hero Crash

My Hero crashed, I came to make a call and the phone would come out of standby. I first thought that I must have accidentally switched it off but it wouldn’t power on. So then I thought the battery must be flat so I plugged in the charger but the phone wouldn’t even charge. Starting to worry that the phone was dead and would have to be sent back, I resorted to removing the battery. Fortunately this resolved the problem but left me a little worried that this could happen again.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Eclipse and Android Development Tools Issue

I attempted to install Eclipse and the ADT on my main computer at home and ran into a problem, I couldn’t get the Eclipse Plugins to install. I’ve installed this setup several times, on Windows XP, Windows 7 and Fedora 11 without any prior issues. My home computer is running Windows 7 x64. When I attempted to install the Plugins through Eclipse I got the following error:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: Android Development Tools 0.9.3.v200909031112-12945 ( 0.9.3.v200909031112-12945)
Missing requirement: Android Development Tools 0.9.3.v200909031112-12945 ( 0.9.3.v200909031112-12945) requires 'org.eclipse.wst.sse.core 0.0.0' but it could not be found

I Googled the problem and got several results but none of the solutions resolved my problem. I then considered my other configurations and the difference in this instance. The main difference was that I had unzipped Eclipse into C:\Programs Files (x86)\. On the other machines I had unzipped Eclipse into C:\Programs where I tend to put applications which unzip rather than install through a Setup progam. Anyway this appeared to resolve the issue and the ADT successfully installed. I’m not sure if this issue is just related to x64 Windows 7 or whether it occurs with x86 or even Vista for that matter. Disabling the UAC may also have resolved the problem.